Ruling BJP untouched capital expenditure and increased revenue expenditure by Rs24.46 crore in revised budget
Surat: BJP that is into power at Surat Municipal Corporation (SMC) revised budget for 2017-18 by Rs. 24.46 crore on Friday, taking figure to Rs. 5662.56 crore. Municipal commissioner of Surat, M Thennarasan had proposed budget of Rs. 5638.10 crore for financial year 2017-18.
Budget that was revised on Friday, elected body did not increase the capital expenditure, but increase revenue expenditure by Rs24.46 crore for 2017-18. Capital Expenditure of Rs. 3100 crore proposed by municipal commissioner has been kept the same by the elected body.
In revised budget, BJP rulers made provision for 50 new projects that includes auditorium, school buildings, community halls, health centers, gardens and other public amenities.
“We have tried to include maximum projects in all seven zones of SMC in revised budget. With Surat being selected under Smart City project, it is duty of SMC to provide quality services to citizens,” said Rajesh Desai, chairman of the standing committee in SMC.
Elected body also revised budget of Nagar Prathmik Shikshan Samiti (NPSS) Revised for 2016-17 from Rs. 409.61 crore to Rs. 408.94 crore. Rs. 460.46 crore budget of NPSS for 2017-18 has been kept same by the standing committee. Budgets will be tabled at general board meeting for final approval.
Special projects included by the standing committee
- Rs. 20 crore for providing dustbins to citizens/institutions for collecting wet and dry waste
- Deendayal Pradhan Mantri Jan Oshadi Store in every zone and at SMIMER/Maskati hospitals
- Air-conditioned community hall in every zone
- 10 ponds in the city will be converted into tourists spots
- 3 mechanized parking spots in every zone
- Plantation in banks of river Tapi on both sides
- Special facility to cremate children in crematoriums
- Entry Gates in all entry points of the city
- Fitting LED lights in all roads before March 2017
- 25% concession to students and specially able persons in BRTS buses